Saturday, March 5, 2016

Week 2: Educational Technologies Blog



THIS IS A LINK TO IFTTT :
IFTTT: An acronym for “If This, Then That,” IFTTT helps you combine multiple products and services. Automate tasks that you frequently perform with this app’s “recipe” function. You can, for example, set the app to save attachments you receive via Gmail messages to a Dropbox account as a convenient backup. Create your own recipes or use those developed by other users; the combinations are seemingly endless (Venable, 8 TOP PRODUCTIVITY APPS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS, n.d.).
The reason I choose IFTTT is because it helps automate many apps for you. Especially important is the ability to choose from a long list of apps that collect data and post them to an excel or word document. I believe IFTTT, can help students in a programming or data intensive class where they simply collect data.
Another example is taken from the blog Ipad Jedis about how they use it in their classroom:

I have a contact form that sends me an email anytime a parent or student has a question. The problem is that I do not always check my email, and I may miss a submission. The solution is to create an IFTTT recipe that says every time I get an email with the subject “New Form Entry: Contact Form” send me a text message. Since I always have my cell phone handy, I set up this recipe and am immediately alerted.
Another recipe that I use a lot in my classroom is "every time I take a screenshot upload a copy of it to my Google Drive". This allows me to have material handy that I may want to use for a presentation. In my classroom, the students can bring their own device, so I can use IFTTT for the ticket out the door. I created a hashtag of #TOTD which stands for ticket out the door. The students put that in their email, and it will automatically save all responses with that hashtag to a folder I created in my Google Drive.
If students have to bring a book to class every Friday, for example, you could set up a “Recipe” to tweet out  "IF Every Thursday at 8:00 PM to Post a new tweet to @mytwitter reminding students to bring a book".
One of the things that make the IFTTT app really useful is that there are literally thousands of “recipes” already made and shared. At this time, there are over 3000 pages of shared recipes from IFTTT users besides the great ones that you yourself can create. The IFTTT app allows you to create all of these great actions on your portable device (IFTTT, n.d.).


THIS IS A LINK TO MOXTRA:
Moxtra: Chat, screen sharing, and audio capabilities allow student groups to interact in real-time with any device. Additional features include to-do lists with task assignments and voice recording of comments on stored documents. If you have group assignments in multiple courses, Moxtra allows you to create separate binders to organize materials (Venable, 6 TOP COLLABORATION APPS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS, n.d.). Moxtra allows you to work smarter, not harder, with a multi-layered collaborative workspace that provides meetings, conversations, and content on demand. Moxtra makes teamwork easier and faster – whether your project lasts one hour or one year, with five people or fifty. It is just that simple. Moreover, best of all, Moxtra’s suite of features can be embedded into any application.
In the online classroom, I think we are all too a bit familiar with the online team group work. Instead of relying on the discussion board and CMS to solve your teamwork issues, send your students offsite to this app. Let them explore and learn the functions that can increase groupwork. To prove everyone is active in the app, have the team members take a screenshot of it on their device to prove everyone is working as a team. This way everyone can be certain he or she have the app and are collaboratively working. Additionally, the Moxtra app already has partnerships by linking with various other apps, which can lead to more fluid control of what you want your students to do.




IFTTT. (n.d.). Retrieved from All about apps in YOUR clasroom!: http://www.appsinclass.com/ifttt.html
Venable, M. (n.d.). 6 TOP COLLABORATION APPS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS. Retrieved from http://www.onlinecolleges.net/: http://www.onlinecolleges.net/6-top-collaboration-apps-for-online-students/

Venable, M. (n.d.). 8 TOP PRODUCTIVITY APPS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS. Retrieved from http://www.onlinecolleges.net/: http://www.onlinecolleges.net/8-top-productivity-apps-for-online-students/

4 comments:

  1. David, I use IFTTT for personal items as well such as uploading my photos from my Iphone to my folder in Microsoft OneDrive. I also use it to save my Pins from Pinterest to an Evernote folder (it's my recipe file). This simple technology is a great time saver and organizer! This would be an excellent technology to teach to and explore with adult learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, these are great!!! I have never used any of them because I never back anything up. I learned my lessons when my husband cracked my phone. I am going have to look into this IFTTT. Thanks so much for this wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, these are great!!! I have never used any of them because I never back anything up. I learned my lessons when my husband cracked my phone. I am going have to look into this IFTTT. Thanks so much for this wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read with interest the social media posts and I will look further into both of them

    ReplyDelete